Saturday, April 16, 2022

MY CHAPPALS AND I - MUDNAKUDU CHINNASWAMY's 'CHAPPALI MATTU NAANU' ಚಪ್ಪಲಿ ಮತ್ತು ನಾನು

Kannada original: CHAPPALI MATTU NAANU 

ಚಪ್ಪಲಿ ಮತ್ತು ನಾನು

Poet: MUDNAKUDU CHINNASWAMY 

English translation: S. JAYASRINIVASA RAO


 

MY CHAPPALS AND I

 

When I go to the temple

I don’t leave my chappals outside,

I stand outside.

 

Chappals seen on a cobbler’s 

feet make news like 

‘Man bites Dog.’

 

As they slip out of their chappals

everyone’s splayed feet 

walk over me.

 

I’m a plant

that is my root

is what they never grasp.

 

Like a crane that cranes its neck

into the waterhole of the dry lake

I stand on my toes and peer

and steal as much as I can 

of god’s form.

 

The crown-gems that gleam

amid several heads,

the hood of the cobra that unfurls and 

spreads like a soft carpet and

when the diamond-studded crown,

the necklace, and sacred-thread,

glow in the waving ‘aarathi’ fire

and the bells start ringing

the leather chappals beneath my feet

blaze like hot iron,

the ground gives way, the green

body inflamed boils in the heat.

 

Though afar, I like the faithful

Garuda-pillar, 

when I toss incense into 

the firepit facing it, 

when the smoke spews, 

I feel blessed.

 

Those who go near god

to offer coins, to circumambulate,

glance in my direction frequently

eyes peeled.

My mind on the other hand is on god

in the sanctum.

 

Those who’re receiving flowers, sandalpaste,

their soul is outside, 

there near where they have 

left their chappals.

 

Standing at the doorway every day

craning my neck and peering 

and feeling blessed 

my soul is inside

with god.

 

*****


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ಮೃತ್ಯುವಿಗೆ: ರೆಕ್ವಿಯೆಮ್ ೮ - ANNA AKHMATOVA's 'TO DEATH - REQUIEM 8'

ಮೂಲ:  TO DEATH:  REQUIEM Poem  8 ಕವಿ: ಅನಾ ಅಖ್ಮತೊವಾ, ರಶಿಯಾ  ANNA AKHMATOVA, RUSSIA Translated from the Russian by  Lenore Mayhew and William ...