Friday, May 14, 2021

GULMOHAR - GANGADHARA CHITTAL'S 'GULMOHAR' ಗುಲ್‌ಮೊಹರ್

Kannada original: ಗುಲ್‌ಮೊಹರ್ Gulmohar 

Poet: Gangadhara Chittal ಗಂಗಾಧರ ಚಿತ್ತಾಲ

Translated into English by S. Jayasrinivasa Rao


 

GULMOHAR

 

-1-

 

For thirty years and more, it has been standing,

this Gulmohar near the gate, in the same place.

The same rough-tough trunk, 

the same branch curves,

the same dance-yielding tri-bent pose, 

the taut roots deep down

in search of nourishment from the soil.

When a child, I would hide 

among its leaves for hours,

around me deep green light would 

drip in the verdant shade,

the happy caress of its bark at every move,

lend your ears to hear the delightful hustle-bustle 

of its life-sap coursing up and down its veins,

at every site, bursting shoots,

unfurling leaves, blooming flowers – 

endeavours eternal and eternally new, 

a touch of summer’s warmth is enough,

a riot of colour spring gorgeously on its branches,

the heady melody of golden red flowers!

What friendship is this, that this young lad has 

with this faceless, voiceless tree?

 

-2-

 

For thirty years and more, it has been standing,

this Gulmohar, in the same place.

Standing straight, offering itself

to the periodic beats of chills, winds, rains, and sun.

I, on the other hand, 

on a new dawn, got up and left,

to conquer new lands,

my first steps, I bounced along 

gaily to chimes of anklets,

shortly, I reached the summit and ruled

but as days passed,

frequent weather changes,

drinking different waters, 

and breathing different airs,

losing myself in twisted lanes and jagged corners,

hurdles mounting at every turn,

all bonds and links falling apart,

shattered dreams, weakened limbs,

I stumbled, somehow grabbed myself by the skin,

I limped, I scrambled,

thirty years later, I have returned

desiring the company of my childhood friend,

standing here in despair

under its golden-red laden branches

comparing my misfortune

with its serene large-heartedness

in steadfast rootedness!

 

*****




3 comments:

  1. Nice translation Srinivas.I only felt if you could have looked for another word for eternal when it appears twice in the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice translation Srinivas.I only felt if you could have looked for another word for eternal when it appears twice in the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kalyani, for reading this translation and for your response ... I get your point ... I had used a different phrase, but felt it was too textual and changed it to this ... it gives off a sort of a sort of contrast using the same word ... always continuing, but always new ...

    ReplyDelete

ಮೃತ್ಯುವಿಗೆ: ರೆಕ್ವಿಯೆಮ್ ೮ - ANNA AKHMATOVA's 'TO DEATH - REQUIEM 8'

ಮೂಲ:  TO DEATH:  REQUIEM Poem  8 ಕವಿ: ಅನಾ ಅಖ್ಮತೊವಾ, ರಶಿಯಾ  ANNA AKHMATOVA, RUSSIA Translated from the Russian by  Lenore Mayhew and William ...