Thursday, June 17, 2021

THE ANGERED SOUND OF DARK-SILENCE - MOULYA SWAMY'S 'KATTALU-MOUNADA MUNISA SADDU' ಕತ್ತಲು-ಮೌನದ ಮುನಿಸ ಸದ್ದು

Kannada original: ಕತ್ತಲು-ಮೌನದ ಮುನಿಸ ಸದ್ದು kattalu-mounada munisa saddu

Poet: MOULYA SWAMY ಮೌಲ್ಯ ಸ್ವಾಮಿ

Translated into English by S. Jayasrinivasa Rao

 

THE ANGERED SOUND OF DARK-SILENCE

 

I, the timorous,

had hidden 

in the box of mustard seeds

my soul and my sole witness.

Shoved into the hotness of its oil,

they’ve been murdered.

My witness has disappeared.

 

On my front-yard,

I had blended and woven

the lines of the rangoli

with the vigour of hope.

Somebody’s foot-mark is 

giving a stupid look.

 

I had saved a 

few tomorrows in the 

savings-box behind 

the laughing portrait.

When I shake it 

now I hear the sound of 

darkness, and angered silence. 

 

I had strewn some

raw hopes 

under his pillow.

The night passed

and dawn broke.

Only ashes were left.

  

I had hidden so many sobs 

of my heart’s scattered notes

inside the crisp folded silks

in the wooden chest.

I heard that somebody had

chopped off the river’s fingers.

 

I smeared some smiles

on the mirror’s cheek

and whispered all sorts of things

into the cloudy ears of 

the steam-covered glass.

 

My secrets

as secrets still 

have flown away wherever.

 

Here, cruelty does not 

arrive with long strides 

and a puffed chest

to embrace you 

in broad daylight, 

in open spaces.

 

Inside the 

mustard seed too,

they come running

to slice your cheek,

a trick to ruin

your rumination.

 

When things are such,

on balance, nothing is gained.

And, as for us girls,

we don’t hurt that easily by slaps of illusion.

 

*****


No comments:

Post a Comment

ಮೃತ್ಯುವಿಗೆ: ರೆಕ್ವಿಯೆಮ್ ೮ - ANNA AKHMATOVA's 'TO DEATH - REQUIEM 8'

ಮೂಲ:  TO DEATH:  REQUIEM Poem  8 ಕವಿ: ಅನಾ ಅಖ್ಮತೊವಾ, ರಶಿಯಾ  ANNA AKHMATOVA, RUSSIA Translated from the Russian by  Lenore Mayhew and William ...