Monday, June 28, 2021

ವಿಸ್ಮೃತಿ - VISMRITI - ELLIS AYITEY KOMEY'S 'OBLIVION'

Dear friends ... here's my Kannada translation of an English poem by Ghanaian poet, Ellis Ayitey Komey (1927-1972) ... OBLIVION ... the poem looked straightforward when I read it first, but proved to be tricky when I started translating, especially its structure ... after agonising for a couple of days, I decided to overhaul the structure in my Kannada translation ... I hope it has worked to some extent at least ... 


ಮೂಲOBLIVION

ಕವಿ: ಲಿಸ್ ಅಯಿತೆಯ್ ಕೊಮೆಯ್ಗಾನ – ELLIS AYITEY KOMEY, GHANA

ಕನ್ನಡಕ್ಕೆ ಅನುವಾದ: ಎಸ್ ಜಯಶ್ರೀನಿವಾಸ ರಾವ್

 

ವಿಸ್ಮೃತಿ

 

ಈ ಜೀವತುಳುಕುವ ಕಾಡಿನಲ್ಲಿ

ತನ್ನ ಗಟ್ಟಿ ಹೊಟ್ಟೆಯಿಂದ

ಬೆಳ್ಳಗಾಗುತ್ತಾ ಜಿನುಗುತ್ತಿರುವ

ಕಳ್ಳಿನ ದ್ರವವ ಸೂಸುತ್ತ ಬಿದ್ದಿರುವ 

ತಾಳೆಯ ನೆನಪಿನಲ್ಲಿಟ್ಟುಕೊಳ್ಳಲು ಬಯಸುವೆ ನಾನು.

 

ನದಿಬದಿಯ ಕೊಂಬೆಗಳ ಮುಳ್ಳುಗಳಿಂದ

ಚರ್ಮ ಗೀರಿಸಿಕೊಂಡು,

ಪಾದಗಳಿಗೆ ಮಣ್ಣು ಮೆತ್ತಿಸಿಕೊಂಡು,

ರಸ್ತೆಯಿಂದ ಇದನ್ನು ನೋಡಲು ಬಯಸುವೆ ನಾನು.

 

ಗೂಬೆಗಳ ಅಂಗಲಾಚುವ ಊಳುಗಳು

ಕಪ್ಪೆಗಳ ಖುಷಿತುಂಬಿದ ಕೇಕೆಗಳು

ಹಸಿರುಗಣ್ಣಿನ ಅಡವಿಯ ನೋಟ

ಇವೆಲ್ಲವ ಚೆನ್ನಾಗಿ ನೆನಪಿನಲ್ಲಿಟ್ಟುಕೊಳ್ಳಲು ಬಯಸುವೆ ನಾನು.

 

ಹಸಿದ ಹಸುಳೆಗೆ ಹಾಲುಣ್ಣಿಸುವ ತಾಯಂದರ 

ಸ್ತನಗಳಂತೆ ಜೋತಿರುವ ಕೋಕೊ ಕೋಡುಗಳು,

ಸಿಹಿಗೆಣಸು ಮರಗೆಣಸು ಪೊದೆಗಳಡಿಯಲ್ಲಿ 

ಅರಮನೆ ಕಟ್ಟುವ ಏಡಿ,

ಈ ಪೊದೆಗಳಿಗೆ ನೆರಳನೀಡುವ ಹರಿತ ಎಲೆಗಳ

ತಾಳೆಮರಗಳ ನಡುವೆ ನಡೆದಾಡಲು ಬಯಸುವೆ ನಾನು.

 

ಇವೆಲ್ಲವನ್ನೂ  ನೆನಪಿನಲ್ಲಿಟ್ಟುಕೊಳ್ಳಲು ಬಯಸುವೆ ನಾನು

ನಾನು ಹೊರಟು ಹೋದ ಮೇಲೆ  

ಅವೆಲ್ಲವೂ ಸತ್ತು ಮಣ್ಣಾಗುವ ಮುಂಚೆ.


*****


 

OBLIVION


I want to remember the fallen palm 

With whitening fluid of wine 

Dripping from its hardened belly 

In this forest of life. 

 

I want to remember it from the road 

With mud on my feet,
And thorn-scraped flesh
From the branches by the water. 

 

I want to remember them well 

The sight of the green-eyed forest 

The jubilant voices of the frogs 

And the pleading cries of the owls. 

 

I want to walk among the palms
With their razor-edged leaves
Shadowing the yam and cassava shrubs 

Under which the crab builds its castle 

And the cocoa pods drooping like mothers 

Breasts feeding a hungry child. 

 

I want to remember them all 

Before they die and turn to mud 

When I have gone. 

 

*****  

No comments:

Post a Comment

ಮೃತ್ಯುವಿಗೆ: ರೆಕ್ವಿಯೆಮ್ ೮ - ANNA AKHMATOVA's 'TO DEATH - REQUIEM 8'

ಮೂಲ:  TO DEATH:  REQUIEM Poem  8 ಕವಿ: ಅನಾ ಅಖ್ಮತೊವಾ, ರಶಿಯಾ  ANNA AKHMATOVA, RUSSIA Translated from the Russian by  Lenore Mayhew and William ...