Friday, July 2, 2021

ಸತ್ತವರ ನಾಡು - SATTAVARA NAADU - JARED ANGIRA'S "THE COUNTRY OF THE DEAD"

Dear friends ... continuing with my current tour of poets from Africa, here is my Kannada translation of Kenyan poet, JARED ANGIRA’s English poem, THE COUNTRY OF THE DEAD ...  Jared Angira was born in 1947 and has published seven volumes of poems.  He was once hailed by Wole Soyinka and lauded by Ezenwa-Ohaeto as “one of the most exciting poets in Africa.”  He has also been called “the country's first truly significant poet.”  

 

ಮೂಲ: THE COUNTRY OF THE DEAD

ಕವಿ: ಜಾರೆಡ್ ಅಂಗಿರಾ, ಕೆನ್ಯ – JARED ANGIRA, KENYA

ಕನ್ನಡಕ್ಕೆ ಅನುವಾದ: ಎಸ್ ಜಯಶ್ರೀನಿವಾಸ ರಾವ್

 

ಸತ್ತವರ ನಾಡು

 

ಸತ್ತವರ ನಾಡು

ನಾ ಮಾತಾಡುವೆ

ಉತ್ತರವಿಲ್ಲ

ನಾನಳುವೆ

ಕರುಣೆಯಿಲ್ಲ

ನಾ ನೋಡುವೆ

ಬಣ್ಣವಿಲ್ಲ

ನಾನಾಲಿಸುವೆ

ಶಬ್ಧವಿಲ್ಲ

ಸತ್ತವರ ನಾಡು

 

ನಾ ಕಿರುಚುವೆ, ಮಾರುಲಿ

ಸತ್ತ ಬಂಡೆಗೆ ಹೊಡೆಯುತ್ತೆ

ನಾ ಒದೆಯುವೆ, ಹೆಬ್ಬೆಟ್ಟು 

ಒಣ ಕೊರಡಿಗೆ ಬಡಿದು ಮುರಿಯುತ್ತೆ

ನಾನಳುವೆ, ಕರುಣೆಯಿಲ್ಲ

ಸತ್ತವರ ನಾಡು

 

ನಾ ಹೊರಬಾಗಿಲ ಕಡೆ ಹುಡುಕಾಡಿರುವೆ

ಆದರೆ ಕೇಳಿಸಲಿಲ್ಲ ಗೂಬೆಗಳ ಕೂಗು,

ಗಿಣಿಗಳ ಕೂಗು, ಅಲೆಗಳು ಅಪ್ಪಳಿಸಿದವು

ಹಡಗುಗಳ ಅವಶೇಷಗಳನ್ನು ಬಹುದೂರ

ನನ್ನ ಕೂಡ ಹೊಯಿಗೆಯೂ ಎವೆಯಿಕ್ಕದೇ ನೋಡುತ್ತದೆ

ಸತ್ತವರ ನಾಡು.

 

*****



THE COUNTRY OF THE DEAD 

 

The country of the dead 

I speak
no answer
I weep 

no pity
I watch
no colour
I listen
no sound
the country of the dead

 

I shout, the echo strikes 

the dead rock
I kick, my toe mutilates 

on dry stump 

I weep, no pity
the country of the dead 

 

I’ve searched the exit
but heard no owls
no parrots, the waves beat afar 

on wrecks of ships
the sand stares with me
the country of the dead.


*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

ಮೃತ್ಯುವಿಗೆ: ರೆಕ್ವಿಯೆಮ್ ೮ - ANNA AKHMATOVA's 'TO DEATH - REQUIEM 8'

ಮೂಲ:  TO DEATH:  REQUIEM Poem  8 ಕವಿ: ಅನಾ ಅಖ್ಮತೊವಾ, ರಶಿಯಾ  ANNA AKHMATOVA, RUSSIA Translated from the Russian by  Lenore Mayhew and William ...