Friday, December 31, 2021

THE BULL AND I - English translation of KAMALAKAR KADAVE BHAT'S ನಾನು ಹಾಗೂ ಹೋರಿ NAANU HAAGOO HO:RI

Dear friends ... this translation pretty much happened in the same manner as happens in the poem.  I read the poem multiple times ... the poem became the bull ... I felt challenged ... I had to translate it, tame it.  This is, no doubt, a compelling poem of profound irony; and Kamalakar creates a perfect setting and two strong protagonists.  And, of course, you can see what happens ... here it is, then, THE BULL AND I

 

Kannada original: NAANU HAAGOO HO:RI ನಾನು ಹಾಗೂ ಹೋರಿ

Poet: Kamalakar Bhat Kadave

English translation: S. Jayasrinivasa Rao


 

THE BULL AND I

 

The big-balled bull and I

are accidentally thrown together 

on this grassland.

 

The bull is inexpressibly surprised  

seeing this book, the symbol of 

my profession, that I was carrying.

It snorted in derision.

Its long shiny horns

were sharp and stout.

Its body, covered in golden hair.

But its eyes were fear-inducing white orbs.

Its nostrils were rimmed with dew-like beads of sweat. 

 

In response, I screeched a whistle.

In front of me on the grassy slope

rows of trees with flowers 

black and red like seething fury.

The bull seemed to signal something with its huge hooves.

I straightened my clothes and checked the force of my pride.

I climbed on to the boulder towards the north, 

sat and raised my eyebrows.

The bull guffawed, said ‘bugger you,’ 

and turned its arse towards me.

 

Which law in this world states 

only the bull should win here?

Its horns are huge, its hooves are hard, its balls are heavy.

I am no less.  profound scholarship, quick-witted, 

grammar pandit.  You see this huge boulder 

of white quartz, on this field towards the north, 

right at the centre?  So, if the bull wants to trounce me, 

let it climb on to this boulder, 

introduce itself, and begin the fight.  

 

Till then, the whirring hat twirling on my forefinger, 

I am the master of this universe.  

 

*****


No comments:

Post a Comment

ಮೃತ್ಯುವಿಗೆ: ರೆಕ್ವಿಯೆಮ್ ೮ - ANNA AKHMATOVA's 'TO DEATH - REQUIEM 8'

ಮೂಲ:  TO DEATH:  REQUIEM Poem  8 ಕವಿ: ಅನಾ ಅಖ್ಮತೊವಾ, ರಶಿಯಾ  ANNA AKHMATOVA, RUSSIA Translated from the Russian by  Lenore Mayhew and William ...