Sunday, January 16, 2022

BERCHAPPA - English translation of S. MANJUNATH's Kannada poem BERCHAPPA ಬೆರ್ಚಪ್ಪ

Dear friends ... here is my English translation of the poem BERCHAPPA ಬೆರ್ಚಪ್ಪ by the Kannada poet S. MANJUNATH ... Sri Manjunath passed away five years ago ... I was not aware of this until a few days ago when I requested my friend Kamalakar Bhat to respond to my English translation of BERCHAPPA, and when I asked him if Manjunath was on FB, he told me this ... reading Kamalakar's translations of Manjunath's poems here regularly, I thought Manjunath was amongst us ... 

 

I had bought his collection of poems MAGALU SRJISIDA SAMUDRA ಮಗಳು ಸೃಜಿಸಿದ ಸಮುದ್ರ last year and was struck by a number of poems there ... I liked BERCHAPPA a lot and wanted to translate it into English ... thank you Kamalakar for your inputs that helped me sort out a couple of doubts ... 

 

I have retained the Kannada title for my English translation too ... 'Scarecrow' is the English counterpart of the Kannada 'berchappa' ... but the 'berchappa' described here is a Kannada 'berchappa', especially the 'pot'head ... so, I didn't want to 'alienate' our 'berchappa' ... here it is ... 

 

Kannada original: BERCHAPPA ಬೆರ್ಚಪ್ಪ

Poet: S. MANJUNATH ಎಸ್. ಮಂಜುನಾಥ್

Translated into English by S. Jayasrinivasa Rao

 

BERCHAPPA

 

On the moonlit night 

Berchappa descends from 

his diurnal vigil on the cross 

Inside the straw-stuffed shirt and pants

he sees his body and limbs filling out

 

His shoulders stretched 

across lakes trees hills

He lowered them rubbed them

His eyes tired 

gazing at the horizon

He closes his eyelids in relief

 

He calls out to far-flown 

sparrows and parrots, 

(they did heed his call!)

He shelled pearls, 

knelt down, fed 

the birds with his hands 

 

He chats with the crows

sitting in a row on his shoulders

A curse, not a penance

he says, as he sings his pain

 

The cows were alarmed, 

the fence too collapsed 

The stream slithered hesitantly 

The millet spikes jiggled their wings 

and leapt up like a swarm of locusts 

The haystack blazed in the 

sizzling downpour of cinders

Oh! What magic!

 

The stream, the tree, the cows

were themselves

It was he who was possessed

he realised

 

Round eyes, grinning mouth, 

hideous moustache – all chalked;

He beheld the earthen pot 

that tricked the whole world and smiled 

 

It will be light soon 

He took into his eyes the field’s expanse,

his own he felt 

Into his chest he took a fill of the night air

 

***** 



No comments:

Post a Comment

ಮೃತ್ಯುವಿಗೆ: ರೆಕ್ವಿಯೆಮ್ ೮ - ANNA AKHMATOVA's 'TO DEATH - REQUIEM 8'

ಮೂಲ:  TO DEATH:  REQUIEM Poem  8 ಕವಿ: ಅನಾ ಅಖ್ಮತೊವಾ, ರಶಿಯಾ  ANNA AKHMATOVA, RUSSIA Translated from the Russian by  Lenore Mayhew and William ...