Monday, January 17, 2022

ಹುಟ್ಟಿನ ಮೊದಲು ಸಾವು HUTTINA MODALU SAAVU - Kannada translation of GITA VISWANATH's 'DEATH BEFORE BIRTH'

Dear friends ... here is my Kannada translation of my friend GITA VISWANATH’s English poem DEATH BEFORE BIRTH.  Gita and I were MA batchmates in Pune during 1990-92 ... I was at Fergusson College and she at the University Department.  Our classes at Fergusson ended by 1 in the afternoon, I had the whole afternoon and evening ahead of me.  I had made some friends at the University and I would go there frequently and made more friends; and then it became a regular thing.  That’s how I became friends with Gita and her other classmates.  And then after a brief meeting two years later at a conference at CIEFL, I lost touch.  Around two years ago, I reconnected with Gita through Nikhila when Gita had come to Hyderabad for the launch of her first novel and we’ve been in touch since then, mostly here on FB.  And then a couple of months ago, Gita had come to Hyderabad and we met and the rest is history ... 

 

Gita is a poet, novelist, short-storyist, dazzling painter, film-studies scholar, among other things ... this poem of hers was published in Madras Courier and when she posted it here, I caught hold of it ... I have told this many times, I can’t resist meta-poems ... and so, I made an attempt to bring this poem to Kannada ... Gita enthusiastically gave me her approval and conveyed her mom’s approved too ...   

 

ಮೂಲDEATH BEFORE BIRTH

ಕವಿಗೀತಾ ವಿಶ್ವನಾಥ್ಬರೋಡ GITA VISWANATH, BARODA

ಕನ್ನಡ ಅನುವಾದಎಸ್ ಜಯಶ್ರೀನಿವಾಸ ರಾವ್ S. JAYASRINIVASA RAO

 


ಹುಟ್ಟಿನ ಮೊದಲು ಸಾವು

 

ಕವನವೊಂದು ತೇಲಿ ಬಂತು, 

ಅಲೆಗಳ ಮೇಲೆ ಏರಿಳಿಯುತ್ತಾ.

ಕಡಲು ಅದನ್ನು ಹೊಯಿಗೆಯ ಮೇಲೆ

ಒಗೆದು ಹೋಯಿತು ಅಸಡ್ಡೆಯಿಂದ

ಪ್ರೇಯಸಿಯೊಬ್ಬಳು ಪ್ರಿಯಕರನ

ಡುಗೊರೆಗಳನ್ನು ತಿರಸ್ಕರಿಸುವ ರೀತಿಯಲ್ಲಿ. 

 

ಮೈಯಾಳಕ್ಕೆ ಚಂಡಿಯಾಗಿ

ಹಸುಳೆಯ ಕೈಗಳಂತೆ ಸುಕ್ಕುಸುಕ್ಕಾಗಿ,

ಕಡಲುಪ್ಪುನೀರಿನ ಕಂಪ ಹೊತ್ತಿದ್ದ ಅದು 

ನನ್ನ ಕೈಯಲ್ಲಿ ತೊಯ್ದ ಚೂರುಗಳಾದವು.

ನಿರಾಶೆಯ ಉಳಿಕೆಗಳನ್ನು ನುಚ್ಚುಮಾಡಿ

ಮತ್ತೆ ಕಡಲಿಗೆಸೆದೆ,

ಆದರೆ ನೋಡಿದೆ ನಾನು 

ಗಾಳಿಯದನು ಎತ್ತಿಕೊಂಡೊಯ್ಯಿತು

ನನ್ನ ಕೈಗೆಟುಕದ ಬಲುದೂರದ ತಾಣಕ್ಕೆ.

 

ನನ್ನ ಜನ್ನಲಿನ ಹೊರಗಿರುವ

ಬೇವಿನ ಮರದ ಮೇಲಿಂದ ಹಾಯ್ದು ಬರುವ 

ಮಂದ ಮಾರುತದ ಹಾಗೆ,

ಬೇವಿನ ಮರದ ತನ್ನ ರೆಂಬೆಯಲ್ಲಿ 

ಕೂತು ಹಾಡುವ ಕೋಗಿಲೆಯ 

ಇಂಪೂರಿದ ಗಾನದ ಜತೆ

ಅದು ಬಂದಿದ್ದರೆ ಚೆನ್ನಾಗಿರುತ್ತಿತ್ತು.

 

ಅದನ್ನು ಬಂದ ಕ್ಷಣದಲ್ಲೇ ಹಿಡಿಯುತ್ತಿದ್ದೆ

ಮುದ್ದುಮಾಡಿ ಅರಿವೆಯುಡಿಸುತ್ತಿದ್ದೆ

ಪುಸ್ತಕದ ಪುಟಗಳ ಮಧ್ಯೆ ಬೆಚ್ಚಗೆ ಸೇರಿಸುತ್ತಿದ್ದೆ

ಲ್ಲಾ ಕಡೇ ಪಕ್ಷ 

ಈ ಇದ್ದೂ ಇಲ್ಲದಂತಿರುವ

ಜಗದ ಯಾವುದೋ ಒಂದು ತಾಣದಲ್ಲಿ.

 

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

ಮೃತ್ಯುವಿಗೆ: ರೆಕ್ವಿಯೆಮ್ ೮ - ANNA AKHMATOVA's 'TO DEATH - REQUIEM 8'

ಮೂಲ:  TO DEATH:  REQUIEM Poem  8 ಕವಿ: ಅನಾ ಅಖ್ಮತೊವಾ, ರಶಿಯಾ  ANNA AKHMATOVA, RUSSIA Translated from the Russian by  Lenore Mayhew and William ...