Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Address - A. K. RAMANUJAN'S UNTITLED KANNADA POEM - 'ADDRESS'

Kannada original: Untitled

Poet: A. K. Ramanujan

Translated into English by: S. Jayasrinivasa Rao


Address

I am not here.

I live

there.

 

That address too

month after month

kept changing.

 

All kinds of reasons,

orders passed down

from above

 

government rules

strike in Bandra

murder in Bangladesh

 

children’s school

when it closes, when it reopens

summer winter floods

 

When someone gets

transferred somewhere,

 

because some doctor said

the crafty flies have bloated

and proliferated after eating

DDT sprayed during the drought,

 

I too am transferred immediately.

Because of all these, my address is

not in my hands now.

 

But, write to this address

itself, it’ll reach me somehow,

if not today, tomorrow.

Even if I’m not here

 

this is my permanent

address.

*****


No comments:

Post a Comment

ಮೃತ್ಯುವಿಗೆ: ರೆಕ್ವಿಯೆಮ್ ೮ - ANNA AKHMATOVA's 'TO DEATH - REQUIEM 8'

ಮೂಲ:  TO DEATH:  REQUIEM Poem  8 ಕವಿ: ಅನಾ ಅಖ್ಮತೊವಾ, ರಶಿಯಾ  ANNA AKHMATOVA, RUSSIA Translated from the Russian by  Lenore Mayhew and William ...