Saturday, April 24, 2021

THE LAST FOUR LINES - UMA MUKUNDA'S 'KADE NALKU SAALU' ಕಡೇ ನಾಲ್ಕು ಸಾಲು

Kannada original: ಕಡೇ ನಾಲ್ಕು ಸಾಲು kade: naalku saalu 

Poet: Uma Mukunda 

Translated into English by S. Jayasrinivasa Rao

 

THE LAST FOUR LINES

 

Sun-blazing afternoon

Sound of the door bell

 

Four more lines to finish the story.

I finish writing, then  

I open the door 

I see the visitor

walking back.

 

Looks just like our neighbour 

but a stranger

I stood and watched

till he disappeared

 

Who had come?

Why did he come?

 

Car in the porch

An unopened door

What would he have thought?

 

I should have 

called out

called him in

given him something to drink

sat and listened to him

 

As I closed the door

and opened the book

the last four lines 

had vanished.

 

*****



No comments:

Post a Comment

ಮೃತ್ಯುವಿಗೆ: ರೆಕ್ವಿಯೆಮ್ ೮ - ANNA AKHMATOVA's 'TO DEATH - REQUIEM 8'

ಮೂಲ:  TO DEATH:  REQUIEM Poem  8 ಕವಿ: ಅನಾ ಅಖ್ಮತೊವಾ, ರಶಿಯಾ  ANNA AKHMATOVA, RUSSIA Translated from the Russian by  Lenore Mayhew and William ...